You can Indulge in Small Plates at Elicit for Dates or Group Outings
Small plates are one of the hottest trends in restaurants these days, and with good reason. It’s a fun and inclusive dining style that allows you to sample new things, share with friends, and tailor your eating experience to your specific tastes.
But if you’ve never gone to a restaurant or bar that serves small plates, you might be confused by the concept. How many small plates should you order? How does it actually work? If you’re curious about these things, you’re in the right place.
In this post, we’ll dish on what small plates are, how the process works, and how many small plates to order.
What are Small Plates?
While the small plate trend might be new to you, the tradition actually dates back over a century.
What are today called small plates are derived from the tapas tradition of Spain. As early as the 1800s, tapas were served to travelers from the kitchens of local inns. The innkeepers would offer various offerings from their kitchen, served in small portions. They would sometimes be served on a “tapa” or pot cover, which is where this style of cuisine takes its name.
Over time, the tradition of small plates evolved. It became common for diners to create a meal out of various small servings in the Spanish style. These days, the tapas style is employed globally, with various different types of cuisines. At Elicit Bar & Lounge, our small plates are globally inspired, and include American classics as well as Asian-inspired specialties.
How Does it Work?
A small plate restaurant typically won’t follow the traditional meal trajectory of appetizer, entree, and dessert.
Instead, the small plates are presented as served, and they’re meant to be shared. This is actually a pretty handy way to order, because if you realize you’re still hungry it’s easy to order more!
How Many Small Plates Should You Order?
The perfect amount of small plates you order will depend on various factors like how hungry you are, the size of your group, and the specific dishes you’re ordering. However, as a rule of thumb, it’s generally a good idea to choose 2-3 small plates per person.
Small Plates at Elicit
At Elicit Bar & Lounge, there’s an entire section of our menu dedicated to small plates. What will you find there? Good stuff. Here are some examples of what you’ll find on our small plate menu:
- Yellowtail Sashimi: Fresh, delicious Yellowtail is served with serrano pepper, sriracha, ponzu, and cilantro.
- Signature Buffalo Wings: Mini tulip wings are served with the traditional fixings like bleu cheese sauce and fresh veggies. Pictured above.
- Crispy Rock Shrimp: These tasty morsels are served with dynamite sauce and sliced scallions. A crowd favorite!
- Shishito Peppers: Just the right amount of heat! Our peppers are served with lime vinaigrette, spicy gochujang, peanuts, Thai basil, cilantro, and mint.
- Tempura Jalapeno Poppers: A different spin on a traditional restaurant appetizer! Ours are made with crab, cream cheese, dynamite sauce, and eel sauce.
- Kobe Beef Sliders: Perfectly grilled mini burgers are served with secret sauce on sesame seed buns!
- Mini Lobster Rolls: Delicious, unctuous, and unforgettable. These mini rolls are made with butter poached lobster, butter aioli and griddled buns.
- Edamame: Our edamame is served with garlic oil, tajin, and smoked salt. Simple, but so satisfying.
- Sashimi Salad: A seafood lover’s delight! It’s made with salmon, tuna, yellowtail, shrimp, organic mixed greens, and citrus sesame vinaigrette.
Pair it With the Perfect Cocktail!
There’s only one thing that could make your small plate experience at Elicit better…the perfect cocktail. We’ve got plenty of good ones!
Maybe you’ll try our Ruby Rose Royale cocktail, made with Grey Goose vodka, grapefruit-rose cordial, lemon, Chandon Brut sparkling wine, and hibiscus sugar…or perhaps you’ll go for the My Sweet Brick cocktail, made with Maker’s Mark bourbon, Aperol, grapefruit shrub, lemon, shiso, and seltzer.
These are just a few of our many innovative cocktail offerings! We also offer Tableside Mixology, where you can have specialty drinks prepared right in front of your very eyes!
Ready To Try Elicit’s Small Plates?
At Elicit Bar & Lounge, we pride ourselves on offering truly outstanding food and drink. Our small plates, nigiri, and raw bar offerings separate our menu from the average cocktail bar. We think you’ll love our small plates and cocktails…make a reservation today!